Friday, March 16, 2007

soooo...

so. spent a weekish in victoria last week.

victoria seems to be some kind of summery paradise in relation to vancouver. i stepped off the ferry into a virtual wonderland of cherry blossoms. everything suddenly became slow motion; my jeans and t-shirt became a pink frilly dress with a matching parasol. i danced among the falling petals with my dapper gentleman on my arm whilst singing a merry tune. this strange turn of events was compounded when we set off in a rowboat - Harmony and I, modest, blushing maidens, sat in the bow twirling our parasols whilst our pale young suitors showed off in the stern. t'was positively jane austen-esque. well, except for the cold rain, the scenery that was more industrial than pastoral, and the fact that our burly men spent more time teasing us mercilessly than trying to impress us. anyways, i guess it was jolly in hindsight. jerks.

it was an adventure, anyways, and i certainly enjoyed sitting by a crackling fire reading afterwards.

and now i'm back to work, which is certainly not too terrible. ayomi has finally begun to wholeheartedly accept me into her exclusive circle of friends. in the beginning we had a bit of a tense relationship: she would giggle and laugh with me like old pals until mama left the room and then bam! jekyl and hyde time. screaming, crying, glaring at me like i was some sort of mother-stealing monster. sigh. but now we're cool, we're buddies, we have lots of fun together waving at ducks and making gaga sounds, or playing peekaboo, or the all-time favorite orange-flinging game which fills babykins with a special glee.

but as much as i'm enjoying this job i know it's not something i can (or want to) do longterm. but what, exactly, do i want to do? i feel like there is something lying there in wait, hidden, that fits exactly, conveniently, all-too-perfectly with all of my various and unrelated interests. it's out there, right?

well.

off to work. anyone feel sorry for me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'd better believe I feel sorry for you! I don't think you could pay me enough to look after kids full-time, part-time, or anytime. I don't know how you do it. You must be made of sterner stuff.

What's the orange flinging game? I want to try. I don't really like eating oranges but I might want to play with them.

Jenya

Anonymous said...

in italy they have a fesival where they build floats and huck thousands of oranges at each other. 'damn wasteful kids! oranges don't grown on trees y'know! o wait... yes they do... every tree running down the street... let's throw some more!'

Anonymous said...

Some Europeans are wasteful with food, it's true! Just think of all the spaghetti you could make with the tomatoes tossed around at the Tomatillo is Spain. Do you think some people run around trying to catch them and keep them to make food? I would.