Friday, July 25, 2008

some recent thoughts and decisions

i have finally come to a concrete decision, and now that it's made i feel much better. i will be flying home to vancouver on august 23rd, and that is that. i realized in the last week that i have always wanted to come home, but my hesitation was a result of that nagging voice telling me what i should do rather than acknowledging what i wanted, deep down:

i should stay here while i can.
i should work on my french more.
i should remember that i may never get to live here again.
i should try to get to know all the people i have met here better.
i should explore the east more.
i should save more money to pay off my loan.

and so on. and so it goes.

but now that the decision is made, i feel a sense of relief, i feel a weight lifted. i have been worrying and weighing this decision daily. each morning i have been waking up and saying to myself "which way are you leaning today?" the anxiety was keeping me up at night. and now, presto, i have decided. and i am looking forward to starting a life that is a bit more permanent than the one i have been living for the last three years or so. i plan to plant some herbs, some flowers. i plan to paint my room. i plan to have dinner parties. i plan to start working towards a career that will make me happy, or at least not miserable.

i am thinking seriously of applying for teacher's college, to become a teacher of kidlets. i don't know if this will fit me yet, but i have had some great conversations lately about education as a possible career path. my mother, of course, has been pushing for this for quite some time, but, being my mother, it is harder to see her advice as objective. i have also been talking a lot with the woman i work for, and it has definitely made me see that teaching as a profession gives you a lot of freedom, a lot of space to nurture creativity and passion and caring. this is important to me: i don't want to go into teaching only to discover that i have made no difference in the lives of any of my students. i don't want to be an automaton spouting off figures and facts. i don't want to be rigidly constrained by curriculums, bureaucracy, or conservative values. but my view of teaching has definitely been changed by speaking with her, and with my mother, and by simply thinking about some of the teachers i loved when i was growing up. by seeing all the former students who still remember my mom, even twenty years later. speaking with meggie, too, has been interesting. she too has decided to follow this path, after years of dreaming of a career in cooking. and her reasons are not merely practical: they are informed by the lives of her two teacher parents; by the people they have touched and by their outlooks on life, the lifestyle they maintained as teachers. and remembering how much time my mama could spend with me and my sister and my dad every summer. remembering our month-long trips in the volkswagon every summer that were, in hindsight, exceptional in a day and age when two weeks off a year is the average. it is a good life, i think. two months off a year to pursue other interests, other endeavours, to spend with people you love - not to mention all the other holidays smatter-scattered through the year. a two-month holiday is a big thing.

so, i'm still not sure this is what i want, but i do know that i don't want a job that involves staring at a computer screen for eight hours a day, no matter how much good i might be doing for the world. it is important to me to be active, to be doing something that involves some creativity, some inspiration. and kids do indeed inspire me. i love the energy and excitement that kids bring to things. i have never once dreaded going to any of my jobs that have involved children. i always leave in a better mood than i have started. i guess the question, however, has never been whether i want to work with kids: i do. the question has always been: in what capacity, in what context? what i have wanted the most to do is to combine my interest in environment, agriculture and politics with my interest in education. and that is possible, i know, but is it practical? can i bring my other interests into a classroom setting?

anyways, these are things i have been putting a lot of thought into lately. i know that i would probably love teaching, and i hope that i could be good at it. and i know that whatever career path i finally end up on, i will always be able to pursue the things i want to pursue outside of that. it is good to remember that.

5 comments:

Jesse Gray said...

I have really only learned one secret to being happy with your life: stop listening to 'shoulds' and listen instead to 'wants'. I spent many miserable years pursuing shoulds until I realized that not only was I tired and unhappy, but because of this, I was no use to anyone else either, and was failing at everything I was should-ing. Do what makes you happy! I'm so happy you're coming home! Putting down roots right now feels really, really good.

Are there any 'alternative' elementary programs that you could teach for? A school that emphasizes art and the outdoors would be so great!

love you!

slow low flying turkey said...

montessori?

slow low flying turkey said...

one of my friends friends got her first teaching job at langley fine arts teaching grade one! that's a sweet deal.

wintergonesummer said...

I'm sure Melanie would be happy to talk to you about different options in the teaching profession.

I'm happy you're moving back, too. Can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

also- adam is about to begin looking for permanent teaching job, and has had a few short term ones... perhaps he will know some things... and as we all know adam, he's never done things in the typical way!